The principal building at Croome, Croome Court, had been the home of the Coventry family since the 16th century, though the building in its current form was started in 1751. The 6th Earl set about transforming the red brick, 17th-century house of his ancestors, but he didn’t knock it down, perhaps for reasons of economy or sentiment. Instead he used it as a template, altering and refacing it in the Palladian style, using the old foundations and keeping some of the walls that form the central spine of the house. That is why, unlike many other Palladian mansions, Croome Court does not occupy a commanding position up on high ground, such as where the Church now stands.
In October 2007, Croome Court, now suffering after years of neglect, was bought by the Croome
Heritage Trust. They took the property on in partnership with the National Trust, which undertook to run and repair it. The house opened to the public on 26 September 2009 and the Heritage Trust have since extended the lease to the National Trust for 999 years.
With about four-fifths of its collection absent, Croome Court isn’t presented as a traditional National Trust property. Instead, rooms are used to present temporary exhibitions and installations created by up-and-coming artists, craftspeople and designers continuing the 6th Earl’s legacy of nurturing new talent. At the visit we will be provided with guided tours and the opportunity to view the attics which are restricted from public viewing.